One of the other fun gifts I got from my mom on my Birthday was some new dog toys! These dog toys are really special though, because my mom made them! Do you believe it? My dad didn’t even notice they weren’t store bought goodies.
Keep reading to find out how my mom made these super special toys just for me….thanks mom!
DIY BALL DOG TOY
Old ball (a tennis ball works great)
About 1/2 yard of Fabric
A piece of ribbon
1. Gather your supplies. Mom used an old squeaky ball from one of my toys and one of dad’s old stained polo shirts (he’s a messy eater just like me).
2. Cut your fabric into two strips – roughly 6″ x 14″ (you can adapt this to really any size you want)
3. Fold the fabric strips in half and wrap around your ball (placing the ball in the center of the folds). Tie your ribbon as tight as you can around the base of the ball after wrapping it several times around.
4. Cut the tail of your fabric into several 2″ wide strips, then using three strips at a time braid them into sections. Try to make your braids as tight as possible (it’s harder for little teeth to rip them apart then).
5. Using the excess fabric at the end of your braid tie several knots to keep the braids in place.
Yeah! Now you have a brand-new toy for your favorite furry friend!
DIY PLASTIC BOTTLE DOG TOY
About a yard of fabric (we used an old tye-dyed bed sheet)
1. Select a plastic bottle to use as your new dog toy. Then cut three to four 1″ wide strips of fabric off one of the edges of your fabric. These will be used later as ties, a piece of ribbon would also work for this purpose.
2. Using your remaining fabric place the bottom of the bottle about 3″ from the edge and wind the fabric around the bottle. Wrap it up just like you would a hoagie in paper – tucking in the excess just before you reach the end of the fabric.
3. Using the 1″ wide strips of fabric you previously cut, tie them around the bottle tightly – using them to secure the fabric to the bottle. Make sure to tie one right after the bottle cap as well.
4. Cut the excess fabric near the cap of the bottle into 2″ wide strips. Then using three strips at a time, braid each section and finish off by knotting them.
Aren’t new dog toys the best?
*make sure you always supervise your pet when letting them play with homemade toys. Remove immediately if they start to chew or swallow any pieces. We aren’t responsible for any injuries caused from following our homemade dog toys tutorial – so play responsibly!